-
Important news
-
News
-
Shenzhen
-
China
-
World
-
Opinion
-
Sports
-
Kaleidoscope
-
Photo Highlights
-
Business
-
Markets
-
Business/Markets
-
World Economy
-
Speak Shenzhen
-
Leisure Highlights
-
Culture
-
Travel
-
Entertainment
-
Digital Paper
-
In depth
-
Weekend
-
Lifestyle
-
Diversions
-
Movies
-
Hotels
-
Special Report
-
Yes Teens
-
News Picks
-
Tech and Science
-
Glamour
-
Campus
-
Budding Writers
-
Fun
-
Futian Today
-
Advertorial
-
CHTF Special
-
FOCUS
-
Guide
-
Nanshan
-
Hit Bravo
-
People
-
Person of the week
-
Majors Forum
-
Shopping
-
Investment
-
Tech and Vogue
-
Junior Journalist Program
-
Currency Focus
-
Food Drink
-
Restaurants
-
Yearend Review
-
QINGDAO TODAY
在线翻译:
szdaily -> 申博138官网 -> 
US states sue over emergency declaration
    2019-02-20  08:53    Shenzhen Daily

SIXTEEN U.S. states Monday jointly sued U.S. President Donald Trump to challenge his national emergency declaration over funding a wall between the United States and Mexico.

Trump signed a national emergency Friday to build the U.S.-Mexico border wall and push for his signature campaign promise. The move gave the president power to bypass Congress to get access to money.

The lawsuit, led by California Attorney General Xavier Becerra and filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Francisco, was joined by attorneys general from Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon and Virginia.

“Our goal here is simple: we’re trying to stop @realdonaldtrump from violating the Constitution, the separation of powers, from stealing money from Americans and states that has been allocated by #Congress, lawfully,” Becerra tweeted Monday.

He said the legal action, filed on U.S. Presidents Day, was aimed at preventing Trump from “unilaterally robbing taxpayer funds lawfully set aside by Congress for American people.”

Trump announced last week that he will take executive action, including a national emergency, to obtain funds for his long-promised wall on the southern U.S. border.

Democrat-dominated House declined to fulfill Trump’s request for US$5.7 billion to help build the wall that the president promised in his 2016 campaign for presidency.

Demonstrations were held Monday in Washington, New York, Chicago and dozens of other U.S. cities against Trump’s move.

In New York City, hundreds of people rallied in Union Square to protest against Trump’s declaration and decry Trump’s proclamation as “undemocratic and anti-immigrant.”

Hundreds of protesters chanted outside the White House on Monday, the annual U.S. Presidents Day holiday, as part of the nationwide demonstrations.

“End the fake emergency now,” a banner read. “We stand with immigrants and asylum seekers,” another claimed.

Hal Ponder, a Washington, D.C. resident and former Congress employee, told Xinhua that he believes “there is no emergency” at the southern border and that the president is “making this up” to get around Congress to push for his signature campaign promise.

“It’s all political. It’s not real,” said Ponder at Lafayette Square in front of the White House.

White House senior policy adviser Stephen Miller defended Trump in an interview on “Fox News Sunday,” insisting the emergency is real.

There have been an “increasing number of people crossing” and “a huge increase in drug deaths” since 2000, he claimed.

Customs and Border Protection officers apprehended close to 400,000 people on the U.S.-Mexico border during the 2018 fiscal year, according to federal data.

(Xinhua)

深圳报业集团版权所有, 未经授权禁止复制; Copyright 2010, All Rights Reserved.
Shenzhen Daily E-mail:szdaily@szszd.com.cn

网站地图 盛618官网 太阳城亚洲注册 申博app下载 申博游戏
网上百家乐 菲律宾太阳城娱乐登入 申博太阳城娱乐城官网 菲律宾申博在线开户优惠
ag国际馆 申博娱乐开户 申博登录不了 申博游戏
捕鱼游戏 申博娱乐手机版 申博游戏注册 菲律宾申博娱乐
申博太阳城直营网 幸运大转盘 百家乐娱乐登入 申博游戏下载